Tuesday, March 27, 2012

BFM 89.9: Open For Business

We can still remember the day.

Dr Shelby:
It was just about October 2010 when I was driving to work at the break of dawn. Morning drives are just wonderful. It allows me the opportunity to align my thoughts and do any necessary mental plans to be executed that day. I'm also a car crooner meaning I sing alot in my car and when I say alot I mean ALOT and LOUDLY. The idea of creating my own bath and body care line had been playing at the back of my head for months but I was just too afraid to start. I was worried about the steep investment and most of all the fear of it failing. As much as we hear that failure is the greatest teacher, it's also pretty scary. On the other hand, I had so many colleagues, family and friends egging me to make my products available to public. I can't help but feel inspired to do it especially since my lip balm worked so well on myself and others. Still, I didn't know how I was to go about starting it. I love my products but knew nothing about business. I was just a doctor. Just as I zipped over DUKE with the Twin Towers on my right, a familiar song played on the airwaves.


"You'll never enjoy your life
Living inside the box
You're so afraid of taking chances, 
How you gonna reach the top?"




" Rules and regulations, 
Force you to play it safe
Get rid of all the hesitation, 
It's time for you to seize the daaay

Instead of just sitting around
And looking down on tomorrow
You gotta let your feet off the ground, 
The time is now..." 


And suddenly my neurons went on overdrive and I felt Greyson. I felt him. I felt what he was punctuating on his piano keys... his exclamations... I wondered why I ever hesitated or feared failure? Why didn't I just try to fly? I told myself there and then I'm gonna work this out. I'm going to try because I love beauty products. I've had a passion for it since forever. I'm going to try it ' cos I love making my stuff to help people who share my plight. I was already generating a tiny revenue from my pre-loved clothes for charity. With this venture, I can continue my efforts to contribute to society. Everything seemed to fall into place! 

After our stint with The Selangor Times, we figured it couldn't get any better, But it did... 'cos we on NATIONAL freaking RADIO!! It was such a delightful surprise (well, shocking more like it) receiving an email from BFM 89.9 that they’d like to have us in for a session with Freda Liu on their show ‘Open For Business’. 

In the waiting room, chomping on our fingers. This is such a cool place!

Turns out, the producer for ‘Open For Business’ had sampled some *bisou* bonbon products in Kaleidoscope and liked them! It’s such joy to learn that people like / love our products. We’d probably tear if I continue on this note. Like other makers who take pride in their craft, it’s the biggest compliment of all when people tell us they enjoy our products. Perhaps so much blood, sweat and tears have gone into *bisou* bonbon that we can’t help but feel so strongly about each and every one of thems. 



The interview ended much quickly then we imagined. We're so in awe with Freda's eloquence and her sunny personality. We hope we didn't do too badly although there were quite abit of "uh.."s  :D Still this was such a fantastic experience. World domination for *bisou* bonbon? We certainly hope so!

Here's the podcast if you didn't manage to catch it before:





This marked an important milestone for *bisou* bonbon. I would like to offer my heartfelt thanks to Adeline and Freda at BFM 89.9 for taking such a warm interest in us and most of all to everyone who have supported *bisou* bonbon & *bisou* rose from the start, especially those who still do!

We would not have been able to be where we are if not for your support. Merci merci merci beaucoup.